Sunday 20th June 1982

GROUP TWO, Estadio El Molinon Gijon. (17:15)

WEST GERMANY   (1)   4   (Rummenigge 9, 56, 66, Reinders 81)

CHILE   (0)   1   (Moscoso 89)

West Germany: Schumacher; Kaltz, K-H Forster, Stielike, Briegel; Littbarski (Reinders), Dremmler, Breitner (Matthaus), Magath; Rummenigge, Hrubesch

Chile: Osben; Garrido, Bigorra, Figueroa, Valenzuela; Dubo, Bonvallet, Soto (Letelier), Moscoso; Gamboa (Neira), Yanez

West Germany had to pick themselves up from the embarrassment of losing to minnows, Algeria in this stadium in their first match. Chile could consider themselves unlucky when losing to Austria, but it meant this was a ‘must win’ game for both teams.

The Germans took the lead when Rummenigge’s shot from outside the area, dribbled under the Chilean keeper’s body and into the net. Osben looked to have it covered and but it was a poor attempt at a stop. The Germans were bolstered by the start they had and both Hrubesch and Rummenigge had chances to add to their lead before the break. In the 56th minute, Rummenigge scored his second of the game to double the Germans lead and then ten minutes later he cut in from the right, played a one-two with Magath, before knocking the ball past Osben for his hat-trick. With less than ten minutes to go, Uwe Reinders, who’d come on for Pierre Littbarski, also cut in from the right and beat Osben on his near post. It was Reinders first goal for his country. Moscoso got a goal back for Chile right at the end, but the Germans had got back to winning ways. Moscoso nutmegged Manny Kaltz before firing past Schumacher in the closing minutes.

GROUP FOUR, Estadio San Mames, Bilbao. (17:15)


ENGLAND   (0)   2   (Francis 63, Barmos og 66)

Czechoslovakia: Seman (Stromsik); Fiala, Barmos, Vojacek, Jurkemic; Berger, Radimec, Chaloupka, Vizek; Janecka (Masny), Nehoda

England: Shilton; Mills, Thompson, Butcher, Sansom; Coppell, Robson (Hoddle), Wilkins, Rix; Francis, Mariner

England were back in Bilbao where they’d beaten France 3-1 in their opening game. The Czechs had been surprisingly held by Kuwait and needed a win here. England were the better team throughout the first half but missed a host of chances. Wilkins forcing a good save from Seman with a thunderous volley. Mariner blasted over when he should’ve hit the target and Robson was also wayward with a header.

In the second half, England continued to create chances and finally the deadlock was broken in the sixty third minute. Wilkins took a corner on the left and Seman somehow let the ball slip through his hands. Francis was at the back post to turn it in. Then within three minutes, Mariner’s ball into the area was to try and find Francis. Czech defender, Barmos, stuck out a leg and diverted the ball into his own net. England were comfortable 2-0 winners and had booked their place in the next phase. It was an impressive start to the campaign, and with Kuwait up next they could afford to make changes. The Czechs would need to beat France to stand any chance of progressing.

GROUP FIVE, Estadio Luis Casanova, Valencia. (21:00)

SPAIN   (1)   2   (Juanito pen 14, Saura 66)

YUGOSLAVIA   (1)   1   (Gudelj 10)

Spain: Arconada; Camacho, Alexanco, Tendillo, Gordillo; Alonso, Zamora, Sanchez (Saura); Juanito, Satrustegui (Quini), Lopez-Ufarte

Yugoslavia: Pantelic; Gudelj, Stojkovic, Jovanovic (Halilhodzic), Krmpotic, Zajec; Petrovic, Sljivo; Vujovic (Sestic), Susic, Surjak

Spain had almost suffered the ultimate humiliation when they nearly lost to Honduras in their opening game. Yugoslavia had played out a goalless draw with Northern Ireland and so all four countries in this group were still level after their first matches.

Yugoslavia made the first breakthrough with a goal after just ten minutes. A free-kick on the right wing was headed in by Gudelj who was unmarked in the area. Four minutes later Alonso surged forward and was brought down by Stojkovic which looked outside the area, but the referee pointed to the spot. Lopez Ufarte, who’d scored against Honduras, put it wide but the referee ordered a re-take as the keeper was yards off his line. Juanito then decided he better take it and he sent the keeper the wrong way. Yugoslavia reacted well as Petrovic, Slijvo and Surjak forced Arconada to make important saves.

In the second half the Yugoslav dominance continued as Vujovic had several chances to go back in front, but just couldn’t find the net. Then in the sixty sixth minute a corner from the right for Spain was flicked on at the near post by Quini and Saura arrived late at the back post to put the ball in.  Spain had been second best for much of the game, but they eventually ground out a win to get their World Cup started.

Tomorrow the second round of matches in the opening Group Phase would be completed. Northern Ireland in action again, along with France and Austria.